Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Approvals from Another Era

An album I recently purchased on eBay had several old approvals inserted between various pages. The format of these is very familiar and I'm sure I saw them as a kid, but the name of the company is no where on the sheets. Does anyone recognize these? If I were to guess, I would say H.E. Harris, but I can't imagine why they would leave off their name and address. Here are two examples. One is a facsimile of the famous British Guiana 1 cent Magenta and the other of two Bulgarian stamps from 1901. Interesting, several decades later these "rare" Bulgarian stamps only catalog $11 unused, $3.20 used. I hope no one was killed in putting these stamps into the hands of collectors--the accompanying blurb suggests that blood may have been spilled.

2 comments:

JFS said...

Kenmore Stamps ? This is only a guess but I am also pretty sure that I saw them when I was young...

Bob said...

Kenmore is absolutely a possibility. So is Littleton and I suppose Jamestown. It is interesting that all of these companies are still in business.