Thursday, November 12, 2015

What's New in the 2016 Edition of the Scott Classic Catalogue

[Typically, I post a summary of changes to the latest edition of the Scott Classic Catalogue within a few days of the press release. This year, there seem to be mostly minor changes so I’ve been in a quandary about writing anything useful.

If you want an overview of changes in all the editions since 1995, type the words "classic catalogue" into the search field in the upper left corner of the screen.]

The 22nd edition of Scott Classic Specialized Catalogue of Stamps and Covers 1840-1940 will soon be available. According to the editors, there are more than 35,000 value changes of which 15,850 are for stamps not found in Scott’s other worldwide catalogs.

Russia has had an extensive review. Imperforate between pairs have been added to 1939 and 1940 sets. "Back-of-the-book listings have been reorganized by perforation where applicable. Dozens of never-hinged listings have been added.”

Cuba also received what Scott calls “editorial enhancements.”Other improvements “are substantially revised listings for the 1911-21 Iran Ahmad Shah First Portrait issue (Scott 481-500), along with updated values. Postal fiscal stamps for Chile (Scott AR1-AR12) are listed for the first time.

On-cover listings have been added to Afghanistan for the first time. A new Afghanistan No. 1, the 1-shahi black with the outer circle measuring 30 millimeters in diameter, was added (what originally was #1 was deleted from Scott many years ago as bogus). The new number 1 was first introduced in Vol. 1 of the 2016 Scott Standard catalog, and is a reminder that not every new variety appears in the Classic Catalogue first.

More minor changes/additions include Cape of Good Hope Vryburg under Boer Occupation, French Equatorial Africa, Traavancore officials, Southern Nigeria’s 1904-07 Edward VII set ordinary and chalky papers, and perforation varieties for Gold Coast 1938-41 George VI and Christiansborg Castle set.

New color images have been added to Armenia handstamps and surcharges that will make the stamps easier to identify.

Numerous color varieties and perforation varieties have been added to the listings for the Falkland Islands, e.g., the King George V issues and the War Tax stamps.

A much fuller list of changes can be found in the Catalogue itself.

3 comments:

Jim said...

Bob-
Appreciate you keeping us updated on the Scott Classic changes. It is quite helpful.

I have a 2011 and a 2014 classic catalogue- 2/3 of my inventory is marked in the '11, with the rest in the '14. Only means I have to take two heavy books with me to stamp shows or dealers- could be worse. ;-)

The big changes I've noticed is the improved parsed coverage of the Portuguese colonies "Ceres" issues with the more recent editions.

I will probably pass on the 2016, but might very well get a 2017 next year.

Have you tried the on-line version catalogue? What is your opinion? (I am still partial to a real physical catalogue myself.)

Jim J

ChrisW said...

"I am still partial to a real physical catalogue myself."

I couldn't agree more Jim! I have a 2011 edition that I mark my inventory in (with orange highlighter). My original plan was to update and buy another edition after 5 years, but then, like Jim, I'd be stuck with two or I'd have to transfer my inventory over.

Bob said...

I find that the paper catalog is best when I have a lot of countries to check or my computer isn't handy. Otherwise, I'm not that big a fan. The binding gave way years ago (OK, that could be user error), the inside pages quickly became scrunched and creased, and the glossy paper is hard to annotate with a pencil.)

I have the 2007 PDF which I use a lot. It is on my computer so if I'm looking at eBay, etc., it is quick to check. I also like that I can easily enlarge the text or cuts.

Only because I had a credit with the iTunes store at one point, I bought the 2014 Scott electronic version. I use it only when I need a more current catalog value. (Oh yes, and to check the new Portuguese "Ceres" numbers. My main issue with the electronic version is that you download the catalog in chunks. While the downloads are fast, it is an extra hassle. And, unlike the PDF version, you have to have an Internet connection to use the catalog.