Thursday, October 24, 2013

Get Your Copy of the Rarest Stamp in the Blue Right Here

Romano Auctions-Tel Aviv will be selling soon the collection of Moise Behar. According to George Bailey, a partner with the firm, Behar “worked in the finance department of the Haut Commisariat, Postal Department, in Beirut. During that time he managed to accumulate an comprehensive collection of the overprinted French stamps for Syria, Lebanon, Alaouites and Cilicia. The collection includes both 'normal' issues and unissued stamps as well as a spectacular assortment of errors.”

Well, what interest could such an auction have for the Blue Volume One collector? Can you say “Syria 106c, the 25 c.s. surcharge on 10 c. green error” that Scott so blitheringly included in the album? I thought you could.

According to Mr. Bailey, “the auction has 5 lots which include 90a [the Y&T number for 106c]. Lots 567-9 and 579. There are 2 NH singles, a milliseme gutter block of 4, a regular block of 4 and a block of 8.”

This morning I transferred some money out of one of our mutual funds to purchase a car, but perhaps I should just try to buy all of these and corner the market. Nah.

You can find Mr. Bailey’s very interesting blog article on Moise Behar and his collection here: http://romanoauctions.blogspot.co.il/2013/09/collection-of-moise-behar-1876-1930.html

The link for the auction house is: http://www.romanoauctions.com

I’ll try to remember to check the auction house’s website each day, but if anyone sees the online catalog before I do, please post a comment. And if you are a successful bidder, please brag about it here.

UPDATE: Here are the lots with descriptions and prices realized.

Lot 566. 1923 Yvert # 90a, French Occupation in Syria, 'O.M.F. Syrie Grand Liban 25 CENTIEMES' on 10c green Sower (Scott No. 106a), Unissued value . Single sold for €286 in Roumet sale #533. Yv cv €392 for NH. Very fresh. From the Mose Behar Collection. [YT 90a] Start Price $100. Sell price $112.

Lot 567. 1923 Yvert # 90a, French Occupation in Syria, 'O.M.F. Syrie Grand Liban 25 CENTIEMES' on 10c green Sower unissued Value (Scott No. 106a), mint NH. Single sold for €286 in Roumet sale #533. Yv cv €392 for NH. Very fresh. Estimate $200-400. From the Mose Behar Collection. [SC 106a] Start Price $100. Sell price $110.


Lot 568. 1923 Yvert # 90a, French Occupation in Syria, 'O.M.F. Syrie Grand Liban' millesime block of 4 (pl.#3). unissued value 'Syrie Grand Liban 25 CENTIEMES' on 10c green Sower (Scott No. 106a), Light toning, non-numbered pr hinged, numbered pr NH. 4 singles cv €1344. Rare item, unlisted. Estimate $300-500. From the Mose Behar Collection. [YT 90a] Start Price $150. Sell price $733.

Lot 569. 1923 Yvert # 90a, French Occupation in Syria, 'O.M.F. Syrie Grand Liban' block of 8 unissued value 'Syrie Grand Liban 25 CENTIEMES' on 10c green Sower (Scott No. 106a), 8 NH singles cv €3136, single sold for €286 in Roumet sale #533. Estimate $1500-3000 for this beautiful mint never hinged block of 8. From the Mose Behar Collection. [YT 90a] Start Price $800. Sell price $972.

Lot 579. 1923, Yvert 90a. Unissued value 'Syrie Grand Liban 25 CENTIEMES' on 10c green Sower in block of 4, French Mandate in Syria. Scott No. 106a, two of which are hinged, NH single sold for €286 in Roumet sale #533- Yv cv €1344 block of 4 Estimate $500-$1000. From the Mose Behar Collection. [YT 90a] Start Price $300. Sell price $330.

I also checked the Roumet Sale #533. Roumet is Roumet Philatélie. Here is the listing that was in that sale:

**2493 Erreur. No 90a: 25c (au lieu de 50c) s. 10c, bdf. - TB. - R (tirage 50, cote Maury). Catalogs 325€. Sold for 125 €.
Among the many interesting aspects of all of this is that there are no used examples including those on cover. I wonder if none of these errors ever made it to the post?

14 comments:

Tom said...

Interesting - I wonder how many copies of this stamp are in existence. If it is, in theory, the most difficult stamp to acquire for the BB album because of its rarity, then the number of people who could have a complete BB would be capped at the number of copies of this stamp in existence.

Bob said...

I don't have a way of verifying, but I believe the original French Sower stamp was printed in sheets of 100. So if the mistake was discovered after the first sheet was printed, then 100 would be the minimum. But that begs the question of why even that sheet survived.

Considering how few of these are on the market, though, I think a single sheet would more than account for every copy that has come on the market. But even with that few, wouldn't it be nice if there could be 100 complete Big Blues.

Tom said...

Indeed! Related question - has anyone ever put together a list of those who have attained 100% completion? I wonder if those folks might have an incentive to make themselves known: likely they'd soon be fielding offers for either the rare gems or the whole thing!

Bob said...

What I know of completed Big Blues is part of this post:

https://globalstamps.blogspot.com/2016/11/checklist-of-large-worldwide-stamp.html

albumfilling said...

I definitely wish I had the opportunity to bid for one of these stamps! Thanks for sharing the auction information and the results from the auction.

I am now up to 13,326 different mint stamps for my International 1840-1940 album using Part 1A1-1B2 pages so have made good progress on it although I have slowed down considerably during the last month as available needed stamps have dried up locally and shipping costs have become a significant barrier to some listings available thorugh the internet.

Bob said...

I would be very interested in knowing if you find the Syria. My advice would be to regularly search eBay and all the other usual sources using all the major catalog numbers: i.e., Scott, Gibbons, Yvert, and Michel.

I sympathize about adding stamps once you get beyond a certain number. I know my best bet would be large single country collections but I'm unwilling to deal with the hassles of disposing of the remainders.

albumfilling said...

If and when I locate the Syria stamp I will let everyone know. This site has been a lot of fun hearing from other collectors with similar obsessions :) regarding the Scott International albums. On another note I have also started working on filling a copyright 1930 Scott International album with the blue leatherette cover which I found about a year ago which is virtually as printed in 1930 as far as its condition goes, quite lovely and small enough that I can take it with me as I have the opportunity to visit stamp shops, shows, and collectors. I have decided to add any mint stamps that I can find to it as well on a ten year plan as in nine short years it will be a hundred year old album with all stamps at least a hundred years old which seems like a worthwhile endeavor. I am not necessarily aiming for any major degree of completeness but more just to make it show stamps for all stamp issuing entities and have stamps on all pages of the album as at least an initial goal. So far it is proving quite fun and I have reached 3,205 different stamps in the 22,528 spaces provided by the album with 226 different stamp issuing entities of the 434 different entities that I identified in the album.

Bob said...

Albufilling, I'm envious of you and others who find multiple ways of enhancing their joy of collecting. The only project I've been seriously tempted by would be to fill the Smithsonian "A Stamp for Every Country" album (with the enhancements suggested on various discussion boards) But alas, tempted is not the same as attempted :)

albumfilling said...

I completed the Smithsonian "A Stamp for Every Country" album some time ago although using four stamp on stamp issues for the Poland Scott #1 and Switzerland canon issues which were otherwise budget-wise out of reach. It was the most fun I have had in stamp collecting as I got to look at stamps from throughout the world with acquisitions occurring from almost 100 unique sources over a fifteen month period. I highly recommend it!

I have, also, found it to be the most interesting album to share with other as almost everyone finds something that attracts them to the stamps in the album due to its scope and approachable size.

Tom said...

I actually bought one of these not long after posting in this thread (maybe it was good luck?) from a seller on Delcampe. I'm only about 5% into my Big Blue journey, but it does feel good to know that one of the more difficult stamps to find has been found!

fredbee said...

albumfilling:

Hi:

I have that same album which has never had a stamp in it. Just wondering, yes unused are nice, however do you expect to find nice undamaged stamps in that time period. I was thinking of doing used in the 1930 album and mint in 1930s (brown reproduction)
Good Luck,

Fred

albumfilling said...

So far I am continuing to make some progress but given that my primary original goal was significantly based on slowing down the availability of stamps to purchase it has worked well for me in that the availability of stamps has at least so far not exceeded my finances, despite some definite attempts to stress them :) .

I must, also, admit that my initial expectation is that at most I would only reach about a 50% level of completion for the albums and that may have been an underestimate as some items have been made available that I expected to take a lot longer for acquisition which has been its own encouragement for going further with the collection. Still somewhat unsure whether I will ever reach significantly beyond 50% for the entire set for 1840-1963 but five years at it has brought me to 39.5% so we shall see!

albumfilling said...

Seems like a good time to provide an update on my International 1840-1940 album on Scott Part 1A1-1B2 pages, so here it is. I now have 14,961 different mint stamps in the album for 43% completion.

In addition I have continued to add items as they present themselves for the International Junior album copyright 1930 with a current total of 4,891 of 22,528 mint stamps in the album for 21% completion. It continues to amaze me how many stamps were added to the International album as its scope expanded to cover the 1930-1939 time period.

The search continues for the Syria 106c stamp. Of course, now that I am working two albums I would really need two of the stamps! :)

Bob said...

Albumfilling, it never occurred to me that having multiple volume ones going at the same time would require multiple copies of the Syria error. Nothing like a good collecting challenge.